Most helpful indeed  -  thank you, I am impressed!

-------Original Message-------

From: James Knott
Date: 04/12/08 01:06:29
To: users@openoffice.org;  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [users] [moderated] YOU MUST GIVE A SUMMARY HERE

Keith M-D wrote:
> I have downloaded OpenOffice to try but when I send an attachment or send
> letter from typed using the processor, I'm told that it cannot be opened
by
> the recipient. Is this usual or is their a setting within the program that
> may need to set?

I assume you're sending to people who use Microsoft Office.  OpenOffice,
by default, uses the ISO standard ODF file formats, which Microsoft
refuses to support.  Since those people cannot read ODF formated files,
you'll have to save in Word format.  There are a couple of ways to do
that.  One, when you use Save as, select Word format, from the drop down
list.  Also, ensure automatic file name extension is selected.  The
other method is to click on File > Send > E-mail as Microsoft Word.

You might also take this opportunity to introduce your friends to the
ODF format and have them install OpenOffice or the Sun ODF plugin, which
adds ODF support to Microsoft Office.

Sun ODF Plugin:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin