2008/4/28 Drew Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Guy Voets wrote:

> > > Clayton, what happens when one disables JRE on OOo, as suggested on
> > > the
> > > blog
> > > to which you linked ?...
> > >
> > > Henri
> > >

> > I'd say that without JRE certain things (Base!) won't work...
> >

> Two thoughts on this:
>
> One if you remove the JRE you will also disable a couple of wizards that
> have nothing to do with Base ( such as the Letter Wizard for Writer )
> Two - think about it. If you have Base installed and then disable the JRE
> you can use Writer and Calc and Impress and Draw without any problem ( less
> the couple of wizards ) you don not have to uninstall Base - in other words
> the JRE isn't loaded until you need it the first time.
>
> So - what did you get by disabling it?
>
> Just a thought.
>
> On the other hand increasing the memory usage settings does work, at least
> it does for me.
>
> Drew

Just to test, I opened OOo 2.4 on my  AMD X2 setup running Ubuntu Hardy ; it
took something over 10 seconds to load. After implementing the procedure
found on the blog to which Clayton provided a link (save that I chose to
retain JRE) , I tested again : loading took some two (2) seconds. Quite a
difference ! One question : what does the reduction in «Number of steps»
from 100 to 30 that I realised involve - just what are these «steps» and
where do they take place ?...

Henri