OOo 2.4 on Windows XP.

I have a piece of logo-ish graphic stuff (PNG and JPG formats) that's
about one inch (2.5cm) high and 8.5 inches wide, and needs to appear
across the bottom of each page in a short document.  Coincidentally, my
bottom page margin is about one inch high.

I've tried bringing the graphic in as a Footer background and now as a
Page background, but I can't figure out how to place it.

As a footer, it lands in the text area of the page, about 3cm above the
page bottom, but showing only in parts that peek out from behind some
text and a small table.  Nope.
As a page background, .... it goes to the same place, but is fully
visible WITHIN the text frame, and is truncated between the edges of the
text frame and the page ("paper") edges on either side.
It's not cut off at the bottom, because it's resting at the bottom of
the text frame, not at the bottom of the page (where it should be).

I want it on the bottom of the page (in the bottom margin) and extending
fully across the page (into the left and right margins, to the edges of
the "paper".  That way it will look the way it's supposed to, _and_ it
won't obscure any text.

What _should_ I be doing?

I looked at Watermark, but that didn't seem to give me anything
different than Format > Page > Background.

Maybe "page" means something different than "sheet of paper" in OOo?
If so, how do I place a graphic on the "sheet of paper", outside of any
frames and stuff?

Kevin
or disclosing it.