Perhaps it is worth searching to see if there is a bug report for this.
If not it may be worth posting one.
http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/project_issues.html
Neil

Jason Cipriani wrote:
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 9:05 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ok, is it possible that these are not genuine plain text only files?

How are they created in the first place? Is there something in the file that
makes OO think that calc is more appropriate than writer?

They are are plain text files. This one in particular was created with
xemacs on Windows. I can verify that they are plain LF-line ending
text files by looking at them in a hex editor. OO Writer is the only
program that has this issue.

Just trying to think past the obvious.

You could create a file that you know will be plain text at a command prompt
like this:

c:\>echo blah > blah.txt

and see what writer does with that

Well, in the Windows command shell, creating a text file that way
works fine in OO Writer. However, using MinGW's bash shell echo in the
same way, OO Writer still has the problem. The only difference between
the two is the windows shell echo uses CRLF line endings, the bash
shell echo uses LF line endings.

Going off this, I took the original file that caused problems (which,
like I mentioned in earlier post, has LF line endings) and converted
the line endings to CRLF and lo and behold it opened in Writer.

Therefore it appears that OO Writer chokes (quite consistently on my
system at least, I've been able to intentionally reproduce it 100%
now) on text files with LF line endings under Windows, and for some
reason attempts to open them in OO Calc instead (to rant, OO Writer
shouldn't be making decisions like this at all -- if I wanted to use
Calc I would've double-clicked the Calc icon not the Writer icon).

However, like I mentioned, it does work if I choose the "Text Encoded"
file type from the load dialog. The correct behavior should be that
the ASCII Filter Options dialog is display for the other 3 options
(Text Files, All Files, and Text Documents) as well, rather than the
Calc import data dialog.

Jason

Neil

Jason Cipriani wrote:
Neil,

Thanks for your quick reply.

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 8:22 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>