Jason Cipriani wrote:
Therefore it appears that OO Writer chokes (quite consistently on my
system at least, I've been able to intentionally reproduce it 100%
now) on text files with LF line endings under Windows, and for some
reason attempts to open them in OO Calc instead (to rant, OO Writer
shouldn't be making decisions like this at all -- if I wanted to use
Calc I would've double-clicked the Calc icon not the Writer icon).

However, like I mentioned, it does work if I choose the "Text Encoded"
file type from the load dialog. The correct behavior should be that
the ASCII Filter Options dialog is display for the other 3 options
(Text Files, All Files, and Text Documents) as well, rather than the
Calc import data dialog.

It's not just WIndows; I see the same behavior with 2.4 on Linux.

This probably is a bug, but it's not the biggest problem here.

An easy way to avoid the issues is to not use File > Open at all, but instead use File > New > Text Document, then Insert > File. That imports the text file contents into an unnamed Writer document: much safer and there's no question about what app will open the file.

<Joe