Jason Cipriani wrote:
While that works, too, that's about as acceptable as opening the file
in Notepad then copy + pasting it. "File -> Open" isn't the kind of
thing that should require a workaround at all. ...

If you're using OOo Writer as a text editor (open text file, edit text, save text), then yes, it's not really necessary.

OTOH, if you're intending to import text into a formatted text document, then using File > Open carries significant risk, and it's better to avoid it.

I'd rather not have to think about it, so I've just trained myself to use Insert > File or insert > Sheet anytime I need to import a non-ODF format file. It's a habit that works well for me.

The problems with the way OOo manages files have been discussed to death and there is no traction for changing it.

<Joe