In a message dated 2008.05.21 19:02 -0500, Michele wrote:

... How would one then set up, say, a 2-column block at the top of the
page and then later [on the same page] a 3-column block?

To obtain the result above I would use a section, or a frame. With both
sections and frames you can define the number of columns independently from
the number of columns present in the page where they are inserted. The good
thing of using frames is that you can create your very own frame style (a
3-column one in your case) and insert it when required.

Excellent! *That* is the answer to my question: After all, when I refer to a "3-column block" I could as easily say "3-column section" or "3-column frame". In that sense, the columns definition *is* intrinsic to the section or frame, whereas it is not to the page (except insofar as a physical page corresponds to a logical section or frame). Thanks!

I do not think that page styles should be used as layout tools, for that
purpose a template is much more appropriate IMHO.

Agreed, I think. A page (a physical entity) *does* have certain inherent characteristics (like margins, header/footer, ...) which are layout issues. The content/data on the page - whether presented in columns, tables, paragraphs, or whatever, is not of that order. It seems that if we don't keep those orders separate, OO will not be well positioned to adapt the presentation of content to different media.
--
John