Printing blank pages can be turned off in the Tools>Options>OOo Writer>Print
dialog IIRC.

Hagar

Le 25.05.2008 19:27, Adrian Parker a écrit :

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 2:58 AM, Brian Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

At 19:50 24/05/2008 -0400, Adrian Parker wrote:

The previous version of OO acts differently than 2.4 when inserting a page
break and changing the page numbering...

For instance my first page should be a cover page (no page number), the
second page should be of type Index.  The index page has a table of
contents.  It should be page 1 and display in roman numerals.  The table of
contents might be more than one page.  Following the table of contents is
the document proper (whose numbering should begin at 1).

This is all very sensible and standard, of course (though I could not have
guessed this detail from your earlier messages!).  And Writer will do it all
for you very conveniently.

I think the only potentially puzzling behaviour here is what Writer calls
"automatically inserted blank pages".  Writer considers that you may wish to
print your document double-sided and consequently arranges that each
odd-numbered page becomes a recto and each even-numbered page a verso.  So
your second and third sections - each starting at a new version of page 1
(or i) - will be forced onto a right-hand page, with an extra blank page
preceding them if necessary.  Note that these blank pages do not appear in
the normal editing view, but they are clearly visible in Page Preview.

If you wish to print the document double-sided, you will need to print, as
it were, these blank pages - unless you prefer not to follow this system of
page arrangement.  But if you print single-sided, you will not want to waste
paper by doing so.  In any case, you can control the way the document prints
at Tools | Options... | OpenOffice.org Writer | Print | Other | Print
automatically inserted blank pages; alternatively, you can reach the same
setting on the fly using the Options... button in the Print dialogue.

I should be surprised if this behaviour is different from that in earlier
versions than 2.4, but I can't comment on that since don't have them
available to test.

The behaviour of 2.4 compared to th previous release does vary.  The
previous version does not print the blank page.

The trouble with the blank page is that nobody ever puts them back in the
printer, and they end up getting damaged and thrown away.  Its just a waste
of paper.

I don't want to print double sided.

Adrian