Allen wrote:
*Wow!* Thanks gang. Couple of minor caveats about this that I found.

1) Don't enter the formula in the cell, use the "Input Line" (I think that's what it's called) otherwise you will get #Name? in the cell.

2) Use the exact format for the date and time that it started in. Don't attempt to change it (like I did) by trying to add the day of the week. If you do you'll just get ###.

Now, is it easier for me to create a column with the day of the week by hand - Monday through Sunday - or can it be calculated?

actually it is easier than that: click format/cell and select date and pick a format that shows the day of the week, or roll your own if you don't like any of the ones shown.

I can do it by using Fill but I have 20 pages of 65K lines and it's a bit of a pain. Plus I expect this to be several million lines after gathering more log files so automation is my friend allowing me to spend more time on analysis.

Thanks,

Allen

Stop thinking of mistakes and failure as enemies of success, they're not. Success is found by doubling your rate of failure, then doubling it yet again. Make enough mistakes and you're bound to get it almost right sooner rather than later.

Gene Kohlenberg wrote:
Allen wrote:
Hi gang,

I'm doing a study of spam and I need to break the date & time field I'm getting from log files into separate date fields and time fields. Currently it is all one: "05/13/08 12:32 PM" I need it to be: "05/13/08" and "12:32 PM"

Am running OO 2.4 on Windoze and Linux.

Thanks,

Allen

There are only 11 types of people in the world; those who understand binary; those who don't; and those who could care less, they just want the g^&d$%^ computer to work!

If you import the date and time, or type them, Calc should convert the results to the numerical equivalent with the date being the integer portion and the time being the decimal portion. If you have the date and time combination in column A, then make the cells in column B and C as follows:
          A                 B              C
1  01/01/08 12:00 AM    =int(A1)        =A1-B1
2  01/01/08 12:00 PM    =int(A2)        =A2-B2
3  01/02/08 08:12 PM    =int(A3)        =A3-B3

Format column B as the date and column C as the time and you should see the following:

01/01/08 12:00 AM    01/01/08    12:00 AM
01/01/08 12:00 PM    01/01/08    12:00 PM
01/02/08 08:12 PM    01/02/08    08:12 PM

Regards,
Gene K.