At 11:52 25/05/2008 -0700, Allen Noname wrote:
Couple of minor caveats about this that I found.
1) Don't enter the formula in the cell, use the "Input Line" (I think that's what it's called) otherwise you will get #Name? in the cell.

That shouldn't make any difference. You presumably made an error in the version you entered in the cell.

2) Use the exact format for the date and time that it started in. Don't attempt to change it (like I did) by trying to add the day of the week. If you do you'll just get ###.

That just means that the column width is insufficient for your new, expanded date display. Just increase the column width to solve this. You can drag the right boundary of the column header or - more conveniently - just double-click this boundary.

Now, is it easier for me to create a column with the day of the week by hand - Monday through Sunday - or can it be calculated?

Just format the date cells appropriately. Or copy the date and then format the copy to show just the day of the week.

I can do it by using Fill but I have 20 pages of 65K lines and it's a bit of a pain. Plus I expect this to be several million lines after gathering more log files so automation is my friend allowing me to spend more time on analysis.

Right-click the column header and select Format Cells... | Number. Select Date and then an appropriate format. Or make your own.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker