Mike Field wrote:
Harold Fuchs wrote:
On 03/06/2008 17:17, Gregory Forster wrote:
Here's a perplexing question. I've used OOo 2.4 for several months now without any problems. All of a sudden last week, OOo 2.4 Calc started acting strange. You know when you you open a spreadsheet to modify it, if you attempt to exit that spreadsheet without saving it, you would get a pop up message asking you if you want to save the changes, discard the changes or cancel? Well all of a sudden, last week, OOo 2.4 Calc would do that with whatever spreadsheet I'd open, even if I just wanted to see some data and no changes were made.. I'd always answer to discard the changes because I had made no changes. Was this something trying to attach itself to my spreadsheets? My son examined my options setting and everything was fine. To satisfy my curiosity, I ran my portable apps OOo vs 2.3.1 Calc and everything worked fine. So I deleted 3.4 from the hard drive and reinstalled 2.3.1 Everything worked great! The next day, again to satisfy my curiosity, I
 reinstalled OOo vs 2.4 and again
2.4 acted up again. Every spreadsheet I opened, not making any modifications at all, Calc would ask me the same "save, discard, cancel" popup. So again, I deleted 2.4 and reinstalled 2.3.1 without any problems. Any insight?

Greg

Check in Tools>Options>OpenOffice.org>General for the box labelled "Printing sets 'document modified' status" and in Tools>Options>Load/Save/General for the one labelled "Load printer settings with the document". If your current printer settings are different from those saved in the document and if you have the former box ticked then OOo may regard the document as having changed ...

I have to admit it's a bit of a wild guess but I can't think of anything else. Perhaps someone else can, please!

I have noticed this too, since upgrading from OOo 2.3.1 to 2.4. As far as I can make out, the problem seems to occur when the spreadsheet is initially created in Excel (in my case I think it was Office 97 this time) and is then opened in OpenOffice. On exiting, OpenOffice gives the "save, discard, cancel" prompt even if you exit immediately after opening.

Mike Field

Oh yes, forgot to mention: the same thing happens in reverse too. If I save a spreadsheet with OOo 2.4 (in the Excel 97/2000/XP format) and then open it with the Office 2003 version of Excel (at work), and then exit without changing anything, Excel 2003 gives me its own "Save? yes/no/cancel" prompt, explaining helpfully that Excel recalculates formulas when "converting from an older version of Excel". So there seems to be some kind of subtle data format compatibility issue here.