I have two spreadsheets in the one workbook, ie Sheet1 and Sheet2.

I want the corresponding column widths in the two spreadsheets to be identical so that I can LOOKUP() data in one spreadsheet and paste it into the other one, knowing that the data will fit.

To make single columns equal in width is fairly straight forward: I just look up the column width of the column in Sheet1, and make the corresponding column in Sheet2 the same width.

BUT ...

Column#2 on each sheet it actually a merge of 4 standard columns. It is about 9cm wide, yet if I click on one of the cells in it, its column width is reported as being 2.27cm (obviously the width of the 1st cell before merging).

QUESTION

How do I make two merged columns the same width, either when they are on the same sheet, or, as in this case, when they are on different sheets.

MY SOLUTION

What I am doing is looking up and writing down the widths of each column which makes up the merged column, and adding them up with a calculator, and then making the merged column on Sheet2 the same width ... but this seems a fairly primitive way of doing it.

Regards, James