James Elliott - WA Rural Computers wrote:
I have two spreadsheets in the one workbook, ie Sheet1 and Sheet2.

I want the corresponding column widths in the two spreadsheets to be identical so that I can LOOKUP() data in one spreadsheet and paste it into the other one, knowing that the data will fit.

Column widths don’t have anything to do with whether data will fit. The column widths only effect viewing. I can’t find at the moment that maximum number of characters that a cell will take for text data, but it appears to be very large. (Possibly 65,536 characters?)

If you copy data from a very wide cell that appears full into a very narrow cell, the data itself will still fit. The data will just show on top of the cells to the right if they are blank. Otherwise all the data will not show, but a red arrowhead will appear on the right side of the cell indicating that the view has been truncated (but not that the data has been truncated).

To make single columns equal in width is fairly straight forward: I just look up the column width of the column in Sheet1, and make the corresponding column in Sheet2 the same width.

BUT ...

Column#2 on each sheet it actually a merge of 4 standard columns. It is about 9cm wide, yet if I click on one of the cells in it, its column width is reported as being 2.27cm (obviously the width of the 1st cell before merging).

QUESTION

How do I make two merged columns the same width, either when they are on the same sheet, or, as in this case, when they are on different sheets.

MY SOLUTION

What I am doing is looking up and writing down the widths of each column which makes up the merged column, and adding them up with a calculator, and then making the merged column on Sheet2 the same width ... but this seems a fairly primitive way of doing it.

If you are only concerned with width for viewing, then you do CTRL-A to select your entire spreadsheet and then select Format → Column → Optimal Width → OK and all your columns will resize to show all the data in the current font and font size. (There may be exceptions for columns that are empty but are already the default width and those where you have turned wrap on.)

You can set up a macro to do this resizing.

But there appears to me to be no necessity that the columns in your Sheet1 should necessarily be the same size as the columns in Sheet2 to insure visibility, especially if Sheet2 is your main depository while Sheet1 is used to collect new data. In that case I would expect that Sheet2 would sometimes have wider columns.

I may not be understanding exactly. I don’t understand your references to “merged” columns. You can merge cells horizontally, so you could merge all the cells in two columns. But I don’t see what that would accomplish.

Jim Allan