Michael Adams wrote:

Isn't Word 6 format a glorified RTF format?

I think it was the first Windows version of MS Word to include RTF among the formats supported. But RTF was not its native output which was still called “.doc”. I don’t know what you mean by “glorified”.

Word 6 doc format is pre-Unicode and doesn’t contain information about which character set is being used. Essentially, like all applications at the time, it just rendered the characters in any font being used.

But that Writer Word 6 output does not handle extended ASCII characters is, I suspect, a Writer bug rather than a fault of the format, especially since sometimes a file in Word 6 output does retain extended ASCII information.

Jim Allan