From: "Theron Conrey" <tcon...@redhat.com>
To: supo...@logicworks.pt
Cc: Users@ovirt.org
Sent: Sábado, 25 de Maio de 2013 21:00:39
Subject: Re: [Users] deduplication

Hi Jose,

Deduplication or dedup for short is usually a function of the storage
appliance, and as such is a "post-allocation" operation. As a quick example the
hypervisor will request the space, allocate all of it, and if space can be
reclaimed via a storage side operation like dedup, that's where it's handled.

If you're leveraging oVirt with storage appliance that supports dedup it will
work just fine with oVirt as well.

We DO however support thin provisioning. This is a "pre-allocation" operation
handled by oVirt. Instead of just waiting on the storage to reclaim space via a
dedup job (if this isn't done inline dedup can be taxing on the storage array
and is usually a scheduled job that isn't constant) thin provisioning only
allocates the storage space that is actually required.

More information can be found on our wiki here:
http://www.ovirt.org/Vdsm_Disk_Images

Theron Conrey
Open Source and Standards, Red Hat
@theronconrey