On 4 Oct 2013, at 20:31, H. Haven Liu wrote:

> I don't mean to appear argumentative, but these suggestions sounds like
> non-answers:
>
> 1. my "favorite" VNC viewer is the "Screen Sharing" app in Mac (which is the
> default VNC viewer that comes with every OS X installation). It does not take
> input files (AFAIK). The previous solution was good in that it just presents
> the password, which I can copy/paste into "Screen Sharing;

Have you tried SPICE with http://www.spice-space.org/page/OSX_Client ?
Have you tried noVNC support new in 3.3?

> 2. the problem with "downloading" a file is that I have to open it (with yet
> another application), and delete the file afterwards.

indeed, that's not very convenient :-/

> Again, I'm not even saying the .vv file does not have benefits or that the
> option should not be there, as I'm sure those that use virt-viewer can enjoy
> it. But not everyone uses virt-viewer, and not all popular VNC viewer
> supports file inputs.

well, the file contains all the info needed for connection so with a simple
wrapper every single VNC client which accepts a host/pwd on cmdline will work
just fine.
regarding your favorite app, there seems to be way how to open it without
asking for anything, see
http://superuser.com/questions/217425/is-there-a-way-to-launch-screensharing-from-the-terminal
so how about writing a simple bash wrapper to parse out the host&password and
launch "open vnc://user@pass:server:port" ?
If you succeed it would be great if you can share your wrapper script

> You can't possibly be telling me that using a VNC client such as mine is
> benefited by the "download .vv file method" as compared to the previous
> method. Anyway you slice it, it sounds just like "well, too bad. deal with it"

I hope one of the three solutions above would work for you…

Thanks,
michal