Many thanks Didi  I will do this later - I think it may be of benefit to others.

I'll start a fresh install on my server and detailed (I'm basically following
the Ovirt flow)  flow. I'll try get the logs into my gdrive so as not to leave
messy posts.

I've got my desktop plugged into the same switch as the server. The switch is
running DNSMasq and runs the DNS on 192.168.0.2. Network gateway and DHCP
server is 192.168.0.1, which is where my internet comes in. DHCP runs from
192.168.0.3 - 30.

I assign static IPs for the server services from 192.168.0.40 onwards.  I have
2 x 2 port 1Gb nics (4 ports total) on the server. 2 are connected to the
router.

I'll post everything else later today. Most grateful!