On 07/15/2013 07:05 PM, Fraser Adams wrote:

This thread interests me somewhat, in particular with respect to the new
paging mechanism and also the backup engine in 0.24 (and I guess trunk).
Is there any info/examples on how to set these up and have a play? Are
they AMQP 0.10/1.0 neutral or do they have dependencies on 1.0?

They should both be protocol neutral and there are certainly no dependencies on 1.0.

What I'd quite like is something very similar to jimmy's needs whereby
when a queue has exceeded a threshold messages get redirected to another
queue. TBH I actually implemented something like this using QMF whereby
my QMF application got notified of a queue threshold exceeded QMF event
and when that occurred it did a QMF move message call to move 20% or so
of the messages onto the "alternate" queue (actually my QueueFuse is
largely the same except it purges rather than move messages).
[...]
This sort of thing sounds quite similar to the replay engine that has
been mentioned, but to be honest I'm not really clear how the replay
engine mechanism needs to be set up. If it's similar in approach it
feels a better model to have the broker do this sort of thing than to
have to put in place an external QMF application.

I like your approach. The more things you can do effectively from outside the broker the better in my view. The wire protocol is the most stable plugin API :-)

Of course sometimes there are limitations that can only be removed by direct access to broker internals. In the case of backing up (and later replay) the tricky part is ensuring the message stream is as close to seamless as possible (certainly no messages dropped).

Chuck is the expert on the redirect mechanism, but as I understand it, it is essentially a QMF operation to have all messages arriving at one queue redirected to another. I.e. it is something that could potentially be triggered by your existing monitoring solution (rather than purge or move, set up redirection).