On 10/10/2013 10:58 AM, Rob Godfrey wrote:
I think the point of Qpid (vs. any other messaging
implementation at Apache or elsewhere) is to implement the AMQP
specification.

I have no disagreement when the AMQP specification is what is currently published.

My concern is where that is defined to be an expanding, all-encompassing effort that ring fences whole areas of behaviour and sets itself up as the only legitimate avenue for exploration.

Expanding beyond the current specification needs a more diverse source of ideas and a more open, transparent and collaborative process.

[...]
I think that any such efforts at de-facto standardisation
must first reach out to other AMQP implementers and ensure there is a broad
agreement on direction.  If the Qpid project can be a vehicle for doing
this, then great - however currently that is not how Qpid is operating and
I would be very concerned at us trying to claim any sort of work done
within Qpid as a "de-facto" standard.

Indeed and that of course is a straw man since no one is suggesting that we claim any such thing.

However I would be very concerned if the OASIS TCs, with such limited representation, were enshrined as authorities over any and every aspect of work they choose to start.

At present there is sadly no AMQP-wide community. While Qpid is far from perfect, it is at least, as an Apache project, founded on the ethos of open, community driven collaboration. It has rules for governance that provide the means to correct deviations from that. Everything we do should be open and subject to debate and consensus.

Reaching out to - and collaborating with - other implementations and communities is something I personally feel we must do more of in order to realise the promise behind AMQP. Starting those discussions here seems like one (though certainly not the only) reasonable way to begin however.