Hi guys,

The above is, as I see it, the crux of the matter. I agree with Rob on this
item. Addressing and management are evolving standards in OASIS and they should
not be ignored. The argument for evolving "de facto" standards is not really
pertinent here (in the context of addressing and management). De facto
standards emerge when some product/idea is developed and turned loose and
people take off and run with it. In this case, work is ongoing at OASIS and
other products are (I assume) implementing them. Ignoring that will only invite
difficulties down the road, especially if Dispatch ends up only able to talk to
itself. And I REALLY, REALLY want Dispatch to take off - I have big ideas for
its use already.

As far as the idea of a AMQP router, now that's an opportunity for de facto
standard(s). As long as it interoperates with any other AMQP 1.0 endpoint that
uses AMQP standard addressing and it responds correctly to AMQP standard
management.

Picture yourself as in Cisco's shoes 25-30 years ago. Take it from that
approach and you'll be golden.

> I absolutely don't think that Qpid should be restricted in scope to simply
> implementing the standards, and I strongly believe that Qpid can be a place
> where we innovate and then work towards bringing behaviours to a
> standards body.  However I also think that when we do so we should state
> up front what it is we are trying to achieve.  I also don't think that qpid
> should
> become a mini-GitHub for any project that is tangentially related to AMQP to
> simply use as a code repository.
>
> So, in the case of Dispatch, it certainly seems to include innovative ideas
> which do not form part of any AMQP standard (proposed or current) but also
> seems to hint at overlaps with such (emerging) standards in addressing and
> in management.  In addressing I think it's important that any requirements
> for addressing that you believe are important for Dispatch are discussed and
> considered in the OASIS AMQP work... in the Management space I would
> very much hope that the emerging Management spec for AMQP would
> prove to be a foundation on which functionality could be built and I would be
> concerned for a number of reasons if you felt that Dispatch
> couldn't/shouldn't be using them.

Absolutely.

-Steve