I didn't say *qpid* developer  - but qpid doesn't do anything on its own -
someone has to write code to do something with qpid.

> The only way I'd feel happy defaulting to a build with debug symbols or
> otherwise unstripped is if the build informed the users that this was the
> case.
> I truly believe that the most common use case for an average user is to want
> to download, build and enjoy and they should have a reasonable expectation
> of a build that is shipable to a mission critical operational environment
> without having to work out some (likely
> undocumented) magic incantation.
>
> It's not just about the performance, accidentally shipping operational code
> with debug symbols is bad practice IMHO.

As Andrew said, the debug info is generally a separate file. After you've spent
some night being called in on a problem and you have _nothing_ to go on but hex
stack, you will fight to the death to get debug info in all future projects.
Trust me :-)  Back in the day, as they say, all we had was hex stack and a link
map. And compile code generation listings. On green bar paper. I ain't goin
back there.

-Steve