The only way I'd feel happy defaulting to a build with debug symbols or otherwise unstripped is if the build informed the users that this was the case. I truly believe that the most common use case for an average user is to want to download, build and enjoy and they should have a reasonable expectation of a build that is shipable to a mission critical operational environment without having to work out some (likely undocumented) magic incantation.

It's not just about the performance, accidentally shipping operational code with debug symbols is bad practice IMHO.

Why not just provide two downloads, one for debug, the other for production and/or perf testing?

-Josh