The send can be configured to timeout because it already started
processing an existing message by that point, there is some
outstanding sendable message actively not being handled, whereas in
this case the receiver it has no message and will get no message
because the connection isnt currently connected but also hasnt
'failed', per your explicit reconnect config. What you suggest below
would likely still cause an exception from the consumer (and if
consistent with the actual drain timeout, applicable while actually
connected to a server and started doing a drain, that would then need
to kill the consumer). Per earlier discussion I dont think that is a
good idea as it cant really be handled specifically without tying the
application to provider implementation classes which is inadvisable,
and avoiding doing that just gets you back to about the same overall
place. Doing something different that returns null repeatedly might be
possible, abeit more complex. As noted originally thats actually
already possible in the general case with some config, just not in the
0 prefetch case you would like which is what balloons the complexity.

Robbie