Looking at the index.html in the bin/js-debug folder, it contains 250
goog.goog.addDependency() lines.
Hope someone can help me to understand:
1. How does the index.html relate to HelloWorld.js in the js-release
folder? Is the stuff in js-release generated based on the js-debug?
2. Are all the 250 goog.goog.addDependency() lines really needed?
3. In the first line:
goog.addDependency('../../../HelloWorld_mx_managers_SystemManager.js', ...
I have removed many item(?) in the 'requires' argument,
e.g. 'org.apache.royale.utils.Timer', and the webpage is not visibly
affected.
How/where is it decided what does into this argument?

Any help will be appreciated,
Piotr

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 2:42 PM Greg Dove <greg.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Piotr,
>
> Emulation will always have more weight because, in addition to a
> reasonably 'heavy' (but very capable) framework, in js there is also
> emulation of certain flash player features that were not part of the flex
> framework itself but are not present in the browser. (such as emulation of
> flash.utils.Timer, for example).
> There are undoubtedly improvements that we can make over time to reduce
> size. But emulation's main priority is to 'get things working' first, so I
> do expect that will come later.
>
> But also it is not simply correct to compare
> HelloWorld.swf with HelloWorld.js
>
> The HelloWorld.swf is internally compressed with lzma compression after it
> has been built.
>
> HelloWorld.js would typically be deployed on a server that uses gzip
> compression when sending content. The 'minified' js output is optimized for
> this expectation, so it is better to gzip that javascript file and compare
> that to the swf size.
> So to compare/test, in the past on windows I have used the 7zip
> application (I use 'normal' compression level, I don't know what is used on
> web servers).
>
> Hope that helps...
>
> Greg
>

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 6:10 AM Carlos Rovira <carlosrov...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Piotr,
>>
>> I think it is the same issue that happened with Flex. And the reason why
>> PAYG was adopted
>> If you don't want that overweight you must leave emulation and go with
>> pure Royale, is a bit more work in the layout, but I think it's worth it.
>>
>> El mar., 20 oct. 2020 a las 19:06, Piotr Grudzinski (<
>> pi...@powersmiths.com>) escribió:
>>
>>> The HelloWorld.swf file is only 79KB in size.
>>> Looking at the initial part of the HelloWorld.js with a text editor
>>> gives me an impression that most of the stuff in this file is never used.
>>> Examples:
>>> Bl='org.apache.royale.utils.Timer'