> "Why don't  you use Jackrabbit via DavEx or RMI?"
Good question. I was looking for a REST interface to Jackrabbit. I
don't like RMI. I don't like it a lot. IMHO Remote Procedure Calls
come into the category of a Very Bad Idea (TM), but that discussion
has been done to death. I'm not actually familiar with DavEx. If there
is a simpler REST Interface than slide that would be very interesting.
One of the things that attracted me to Sling was the presentation
http://www.slideshare.net/lars3loff/the-zero-bullshit-architecture. I
found that I shared a lot of prejudices with the author, and shared
prejudices are what makes the world go round. As I understand it Day
were the main contributor to Sling, and the Sling architecture is what
he was describing.

> "I'm not sure what you meant by "a mixture of structured and
> unstructureddata".
By a "mixture of structured and unstructured data", I mean that some
data will have schemas and some won't. I also am quite likely to
change the schema across time. As I have been involved in a large
number of database migration problems: all of which were painful, I
hope to avoid all those problems. It looks to me that Jackrabbit will
deal with many of these issues.

> "Have you looked at other databases such as CouchDB or MongoDB?"
I haven't looked at CouchDb/MongoDb, although I have worked with Neo4J
and Cassandra which have some similar properties. I really like
Cassandra, and keep trying to make the project I am writing use it,
but the amount of work I would have to do is quite high.

> "I don't think Sling is a remote repository."
You might be right. I have come to it thinking its mainly a Restful
front end to Jackrabbit, but it is quite a lot more than that.
The features of Jackrabbit I like are
1: WebDAV interface...There are loads of tools available for
troubleshooting and exploring
2: The versioning

Although I came to Sling for the Restful interface, there are a few of
features that Sling adds to Jackrabbit that I like:
1: It looks as though Sling would deal with the schema changing across
time issue: The support for multiple renderers, and for those
renderers to be quite sophisticated looks as though I can ask for
resource.oldVersion0, resource.oldVersion1 or resource.json, and have
the correct values presented to me.
2: I hope to be able to use the Sling rendering to reduce the chatter
between client and server

If there is a more suited Restful interface to Jackrabbit I would be
very interested.