I'd welcome the same (i.e., the steps involved to change the domain)

When I considered adding Samba to the ZEG (pre-Samba4), Inverse told me I could configure Samba to authenticate against 'ldap' (leaving 'ldap' configuration intact) or authenticate against 'pam'

Presumably, with Samba4, I could authenticate within Samba itself. So, I think you have a choice.

It would seem that the list of places starts with "where" you choose to authenticate.