I look forward to seeing this, right now I find the updater very confusing. A question though, if run as root under cron would it still need the sudo password?

No, it won't need. But I not recommend it - by a simply reason.
If you run it under cron, the site contents will update automatically, and your clients (Thunderbird) will upgrade automatically too. It's a problem!

Never upgrade anything before you not try it correctly!

You can decline it, and use it by root (but you need to edit the script, because it exits if you have root privileges. :)