On 12/04/2016 13:39, Christian Mack (christian.m...@uni-konstanz.de) wrote:
Hello

Am 12.04.2016 um 07:44 schrieb Peter B (s...@peter-b.org):
Ubuntu 14.04, SOGo 3.0.2.20160326-1

I've got users using email reminders for events, but the reminders come
through blank, with just a subject line the same as the event title. If
the event has a description this is included as the message body.

Shouldn't the reminder include other information, I.E. time and date of
the event, possibly a list of other attendees and location etc?

As event reminders can be set for an arbitrary time in relation to the
actual event, the reminders need to contain the time and date of the
event at the very least, preferably somewhere on the subject line (I
suggest the start!).

That is normal behaviour.
As you set those reminders, it is assumed, you remind yourself at a
reasonable time :-)

You could add an enhancement request at http://www.sogo.nu/bugs if you
need date and time in the email reminder.

I personally don't like the idea of including date and time in the
subject, as it is getting really long with that.

Hey Christian,

I must admit I don't like the idea of email reminders at all (which is why I've only recently had trouble with it - I'd left them turned off but a few users specifically requested it). As if there isn't enough noise going across email servers already.

That said, it's a case of what people are used to and what they expect. The assumption that you have set the reminder yourself and therefore know what it's about is not a valid assumption (more below).

In this case, it's mainly to do with users that don't really use calendar included as invitees to events in someone else's calendar. I've also got a subset of users using Web UI to set up a bunch of repeating events (on odd cycles, like every 15 dayts) that are actually in truth task reminders. They have a bunch of invitees to remind various people to do various things at various times. Most use Thunderbird but none use Lightning as, reminders aside, they don't use calendar functions. Further, the emails feed into client devices that have IMAP but no calendar capability (no EAS/dav etc.). In that case, the date/time is essential information.

As to whether or not it's on the subject line I'm personally ambivalent, but I'm getting the "it's what google calendar does" (insert other calendar system at whim) type comments. Although I'd never use it I can see the advantage of this - a time/date pattern stands out in an inbox full of mail, especially in an inbox with a lot of event reminders that aren't necessarily date sequential.

Perhaps that could be configurable? I'll put in the enhancement request.

It's amazing the way in which people come up with using things.....

Peter.