I doubt that is the problem.
I dropped all the sogo_* tables from my DB, except the sogo_auth_view,
which is created from my users table.
There is no /usr/share/doc/sogo:
[wash@waridi ~]$ ls -al  /usr/share/doc/
total 60
drwxr-xr-x  15 root  wheel   512 Jan 10  2017 .
drwxr-xr-x  32 root  wheel  1024 Mar 18  2018 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Oct  8 22:45 IPv6
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Oct  8 22:45 atf
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Oct  8 22:45 atm
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   512 Mar 18  2018 bind9
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Oct  8 22:45 legal
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   512 Oct  8 22:45 llvm
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Oct  8 22:44 ncurses
drwxr-xr-x   7 root  wheel  2560 Oct  8 22:46 ntp
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Oct  8 22:45 papers
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Oct  8 22:45 pjdfstest
drwxr-xr-x  22 root  wheel   512 Oct  8 22:45 psd
drwxr-xr-x  13 root  wheel   512 Oct  8 22:45 smm
drwxr-xr-x  15 root  wheel   512 Oct  8 22:45 usd

Similarly:
[wash@waridi ~]$ sudo find /usr/ -type d -name "sogo"
Password:
/usr/local/etc/sogo
/usr/local/GNUstep/Local/Library/Frameworks/SOGo.framework/Versions/4/sogo
/usr/local/GNUstep/Local/Library/Frameworks/SOGo.framework/sogo
/usr/local/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/sogo

So, the files could be elsewhere, but I am still not sure I need any sql
update scripts, especially because I am only using
sogo-4.0.4 since 4.0.5 has not yet hit the FreeBSD ports. I am not
compiling manually, but using the ports.

My problem still lives :-)

Allow me to digress a little. Today while thinking about SOGo, I was
wondering why the developers cannot let us define custom
SQL queries within sogo.conf. For example, in my case I have to create a
view of my users table to be used by SOGo wherea
I could easily craft the queries dependent on my table structure.
The sogo_auth_view comprises a very small subset of the
columns that exist on my users table.

With the ability to define custom queries inside sogo.conf, I could only
use select X as A, Y as B from db.table....etc so that I do not have to
rely on a view. This would help with SOGoPasswordChangeEnabled  option to
operate directly on the main table instead of on the view.

root@localhost [exim4u]> desc sogo_auth_view;
+-------------+------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field       | Type             | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-------------+------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| sogo_id     | int(10) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |       |
| c_uid       | varchar(255)     | NO   |     |         |       |
| c_name      | varchar(255)     | NO   |     |         |       |
| c_password  | varchar(256)     | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| c_cn        | varchar(255)     | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| mail        | varchar(255)     | NO   |     |         |       |
| displayName | varchar(255)     | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
+-------------+------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
7 rows in set (0.25 sec)

root@localhost [exim4u]> desc users;
+------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field            | Type
      | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| user_id          | int(10) unsigned
      | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| domain_id        | mediumint(8) unsigned
     | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| localpart        | varchar(192)
      | NO   | MUL |         |                |
| username         | varchar(255)
      | NO   |     |         |                |
| clear            | varchar(255)
      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| crypt            | varchar(256)
      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| uid              | smallint(5) unsigned
      | NO   |     | 65534   |                |
| gid              | smallint(5) unsigned
      | NO   |     | 65534   |                |
| smtp             | varchar(255)
      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| pop              | varchar(255)
      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| type             |
enum('local','alias','catch','fail','piped','admin','site') | NO   |     |
local   |                |
| admin            | tinyint(1)
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| on_avscan        | tinyint(1)
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| on_blocklist     | tinyint(1)
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| on_complexpass   | tinyint(1)
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| on_forward       | tinyint(1)
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| on_piped         | tinyint(1)
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| on_spamassassin  | tinyint(1)
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| on_vacation      | tinyint(1)
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| enabled          | tinyint(1)
      | NO   |     | 1       |                |
| flags            | varchar(16)
     | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| forward          | varchar(255)
      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| unseen           | tinyint(1)
      | YES  |     | 0       |                |
| maxmsgsize       | mediumint(8) unsigned
     | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| quota            | int(10) unsigned
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| realname         | varchar(255)
      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| sa_tag           | smallint(5) unsigned
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| sa_refuse        | smallint(5) unsigned
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| tagline          | varchar(255)
      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| vacation         | varchar(255)
      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| on_spambox       | tinyint(1)
      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| on_spamboxreport | tinyint(1)
      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| ftp_dir          | varchar(255)
      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| ftp_enable       | tinyint(1)
      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| ftp_quota        | int(11)
     | YES  |     | 20      |                |
| ULBandwidth      | smallint(5)
     | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| DLBandwidth      | smallint(5)
     | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| ipaccess         | varchar(15)
| QuotaFiles       | int(11)
     | NO   |     | 0       |                |

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,