At 05:00 PM 9/14/2004, Michele Neylon::Blacknight Solutions wrote:
I don't always use evolution  and even if I did I would still prefer
something in the subject line

As I already said, other lists allow people to choose.

The Apache list allows you to choose.. You can choose to implement it in procmail locally, it's quite easy.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spamassassin.general/40735/match=subject+prefix+new+list

The fundamental points against implementing it are:

1) Apache has existing lists without this capability, thus adding it takes effort away from useful development at Apache. Subscriber choice is good, but that adds even more work to the project, since the lists are using ezmlm (note to all those asking what mailing list software, check the headers of a message). ezmlm only supports subject prefixes on a list-wide basis, so implementing this as a per-user setting would involve porting the lists to different software.

Besides, why exactly does Apache need to change it's lists to suit your mail reading preferences when they've got plenty of other things that are much more useful to do?

2) this is readily implemented on your end using procmail, or nearly any other MDA filter prior to your MUA. If you want it, implement it yourself instead of complaining.

3) It's easier to implement adding this at the recipient side than stripping it.

4) only a few MUAs need this anyway, and some users like it for preference reasons, but see #2

5) the subscribers of this list already took a vote on this matter, and policy was set, and it's not even been a year already. Do we really need to make list management policy run for re-election on a semi-annual basis?

6) back in the days of old on sourceforge some other opinionated person was arguing that [sadev] was detrimental because his broken MUA only displayed the first 20 characters of the subject. So you're not going to make all the users of crappy MUA's happy by adding it, you'll just make a different set of unhappy people. You can fall on the "user choice" option here, but that goes back to #1.

In short, why should Apache take any time away from other projects to implement something that you can do yourself without a great deal of effort?