Anthony Edwards wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 02:37:31PM -0400, Kris Deugau wrote:
> > Justin Mason wrote:
> > > Yeah -- this is almost definitely something to do with SuSE's
> > > packaging of either perl (if it uses the defaults from
> > > ExtUtils::MakeMaker) or SpamAssassin itself (if its rpm spec moves
> > > the file around as Debian does).
> >
> > Actually, for any "real" package manager (ie, rpm or dpkg), upgrading a
> > package should remove all old files as a part of the upgrade.
>
> The issue related to SuSE is that previously, one has been able
> to install the SuSE default .rpm package, and then subsequently
> upgrade using cpan without removing the old package first since
> the old binaries and entire contents of /usr/share/spamassassin/
> have been overwritten by that process.

Ah, but that's not "upgrading the package", that's "installing from
source".  (More or less;  CPAN does some checking that a plain
install-from-tarball wouldn't.)  In the context of a system with a
package manager of some kind, an upgrade typically implies that you find
a new version of the package built for that packaging system- a new .deb
for Debian/dpkg-based distros, a new .rpm for rpm-based distros, or a
new download from CPAN for a system where Perl has largely been
installed via CPAN.

I tend to build my own .rpm's for things like SpamAssassin, in large
part because when I originally installed them I couldn't find a
package.  <g>  You might try snagging the .src.rpm that SuSE provides,
and tweaking the spec file to allow you to update to a newer SA within
the framework provided by rpm.  I find it well worth the effort for a
number of programs or modules- especially when it comes to installing
across multiple servers where I VERY SPECIFICALLY do NOT have compiler
tools installed.

>  SuSE are unlike Debian (for
> instance) in that they don't release (with one or two exceptions)
> upgraded packages other than to address security vulnerabilites,
> so to upgrade to a more recent version of any particular application
> cannot generally be done with a SuSE .rpm.

You mean, "like Debian stable", or "like RedHat Enterprise Linux" (and
its clones).  <g>  Both provide security updates, but (almost) NO
functionality changes.

Debian unstable is "whatever's current" (more or less).  Fedora Core
fills the same role for RedHat.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!