> I posted some graphs of my Mem and Swap utilization under 3.0 and 2.64 but
I didn't realize provide a legend.  The green is memory/swap used and the
blue is free.  You can see that under 3.0 (the first half of the graph)
about 1/2 of my swap was used and under 2.64, just a tiny fraction is used.
The memory graph is less dramatic.

Yes, I looked at them after posting that question, and was confused.  :-)

It doesn't sound like you were deadly out of swap space, but you could well
have been thrashing.  That would account for increasing total processing
times per message, although the cpu time per message should have been
relatively constant (although there might not be a way to measure that to
see).

> I'm hearing a lot of talk about BigEvil and I am running that rule (I
emerged spamassassin-ruledujour in Gentoo, which includes a collection of
3rd party rules).  However, I'm fond of many of these rules, so I think I'll
just keep running 2.64 for the time being since it seems to handle these
rules without completely devouring all my swap and ram.

BigEvil is big evil, even on 2.64.  It worked for a while, but then toward
the end just got waaay too huge.  It will fry lightning in its tracks on
most machines.

Why it would result in taking more memory on 3.0 than on 2.64 is an
interesting theoretical question that probably only the devs could answer.
It implies a change in rule processing such that the various rules take a
lot more memory to process in 3.0 than in 2.6x.  That will likely become
less of a theoretical question and more of a practical question as time goes
on with 3.0; but at this point I doubt that anyone is interested.

The practical thing to do is eliminate BigEvil on 3.0 and turn on SURBL,
which should give you the same results at the cost of trading off memory for
net tests.  That will probably halve the amount of rule memory required.

In fact, doing the same thing on 2.64 woudl probably be worthwhile, except
that you have the memory to run BE on that system.

        Loren