On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Jon Trulson wrote:

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Luis Hernan Otegui wrote:

> Well, a weekend update:
> Nothing has changed here. I removed EVERYTHING (except for local.cf)
> from /etc/mail/spamassassin, and still it chews as much memory as it
> could get. I limited the number of childs to five (removed the -m
> switch in the startup script), and nothing changed. The only
> "improvement" was that instead of 20 processes claiming all the
> memory, there were only five trying to freeze my box... But the oldest
> one still is a big memory grabber: It reached up to 133 MB, and NEVER
> got any lower, it just keeps grabbing and grabbing memory... Seems
> pretty much strange to me...

        Same thing I saw, except in my case, it was 320MB.  Once a child
had it, it never let it go until terminated (or hit the default 200
connection limit).

Is there a Perl equivalent to the Unix 'setrlimit' or 'ulimit' function? (IE something to set the max data size that a process is allowed to use).

Just set it to limit the child processes to something reasonable,
(say 50~100MB) and have them die if it is exceeded.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>