email builder wrote:

We currently use MailScanner/ClamAV/sendmail on our Gateway with three toasters running qmail/vpopmail calling SA from a script added to the users .qmail file. All Maildirs are NFS mounted as are qmail control files.

NFS 4 by chance? Do you have any opinions on its security and speed/performance?

Ooops! Forgot to answer the speed performance question.

Currently we have all the NFS interfaces on gigabit connections through a dedicated gigabit switch, full duplex. We are barely taxing it, more like we just manage to keep the dust off ;^) The NFS server's load is averaging .5 to 1.3 ( a Sparc Enterprise 450 ).

Todays logging shows 2500k traffic per second on the NFS server's interface answering three toasters nfs requests, plus spamc, plus vpopmail auth. All serving 250+ domains and 5000+ local users.

To give you an idea of the NFS performance, we just recently moved from using Sparc 20s for toasters (dual 195mhz cpu, 512 mb ram, and 100mb network). If I took spamc off the toasters we would have kept up just fine.

DAve

--
Systems Administrator
http://www.tls.net