> While spamd is consuming high CPU, try to run "vmstat 5" to see what is
> happening.

During peak load, lots of processes waiting to run (under column r) (as many
as 15 to 20 at times, but always at least a couple); the number of blocked
processes (column b) is also uncomfortably high - can be upward of 10 or more
when things have gone to hell, but even just "regular" heavy load keeps this
at at least 2 or 3 constantly when lots of processes are waiting to run and
CPU is 0% idle...  so (swapping) is never a problem (always zero), bi/bo (I'm
not as confident on what good numbers are for these) are I think never much
over 1500 (bi averages probably 700 or 800ish, bo higher than that); busy
times see as many as 3500 context switches (cs).

I'm no expert in understanding all of this, but I have been keeping my eye on
it.  I'd definitely love to hear anyone's thoughts if I may be overlooking
other problems on my system.

> Also, what distribution are you runnng on and what does "perl -v" return ?

Fedora Core 2

# perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.3 built for i386-linux-thread-multi

Copyright 1987-2003, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

Thanks!