Jack,

Thanks for the suggestion, I may indeed do that, but at the moment
spamd isn't generating any messages after its startup. (unless I telnet
to it)

I start spamd with a script that came with the rpm package from SuSE in
/etc/init.d, the options are specified in the file /etc/sysconfig/spamd,
and I currently have SPAMD_ARGS="-d -a -L -D -x -u vscan", and
/etc/init.d/spamd does:
startproc -p /var/run/spamd.pid $SPAMD_BIN $SPAMD_ARGS

Paul Hilton