From: "Clarke Brunt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Jonathan Nichols wrote:
> > I scrapped SPF, actually. Found that certain providers, such as
> > T-Mobile, re-direct & intercept outbound port 25 traffic, making SPF
> > more of a pain in the neck.
> >
> > Example: I try to send mail to this list from a T-Mobile Hotspot
> > (Starbucks) - it gets kicked back because SF.net uses SPF, and my SPF
> > records don't show m55415454.tmodns.net in the SPF records. So what can
> > I do? Add all of t-mobile to my SPF records? What happens next time
> > something like that occurs?
> >
> > In the end it was just easier to back off of SPF for now.. maybe later..
>
> Indeed, if you have to send mail while 'on the road', through other
people's
> servers (bearing in mind that some providers might redirect port 25), then
> publishing SPF for your own domain which rejects mail from these servers
is
> to be avoided!

Even more to the point SPF is NOT a reason to accept or reject mail.
All it does is verify the domain from which it originated. That is a
tool for SCORING spam not for outright elimination of messages that
have bad SPF records and accepting those that have good SPF records.
It is perfectly legitimate for a spammer to build his own SPF record
and get approved by such mal-configured tools. All the SPF record
does is give you confidence of the veracity of one hop in the chain.

{^_^}