I like to use RPMs from YUM or APT repositories where ever I can on RPM based distrabutions. But I think for spamassassin, you are better off going with CPAN to keep it up to date.

Martin

Hans du Plooy wrote:

I was wondering what method you guys & gals prefer for upgrading spamassassin on the more mainstream rpm based distros (MDK/Fedora/rh/SUSE).

I have a SUSE 9.1 server, running spamassassin through amavisd-new. Works like a charm. I decided to give the CPAN thing a try. logged in, updated all the relevant perl things (acutally I was wishing to upgrade everything perl related listed in amavisd-new's logfile, sa being one of them). Somehow this broke spamassassin very badly. Couldn't even run sa-learn!

So I downloaded the tarball and built rpms using the included spec file with rpmbuild - this fixed it nicely.

Just curious

Thanks