Austin Weidner wrote:

Hopefully someone else can learn from this because the docs are a little deceiving, as you said it says in the docs that the order is checked like:

/etc/resolv.conf
$HOME/.resolv.conf
./.resolv.conf

However it was checking like this:
$HOME/.resolv.conf
/etc/resolv.conf

I've submitted this information to the current maintainer of Net::DNS. Any
changes I was making to /etc/resolv.conf were being ignored. Changes to
$HOME/.resolv.conf were being accepted.

Actually, these files are essentially ANDed together. It doesn't just stop once it has read your /etc/resolv.conf, it keeps going and adds in servers from the other two files. The relevant code is here: http://search.cpan.org/src/CREIN/Net-DNS-0.48/lib/Net/DNS/Resolver/UNIX.pm