On 2/18/2005 3:05 PM, Matt Kettler wrote:

>   spampd implements calls directly to the SA perl API via
> Mail::SpamAssassin. By using the API, the tool becomes responsible for
> directly setting up some of the user configuration. In particular, the
> caller of the perl API specifies where to get the user preferences from.
> This is NOT automatically handled.
>
> The perl API does not auto load the user config for any tool. It's always
> up to the caller of the API to specify the source of user preferences. It
> can look at the Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf object to make decisions, but it
> is up to the perl API caller to decide how to proceede.
>
> Mail::SpamAssassin makes the SQL tools available, but it's up to spampd to
> actually call load_scoreonly_sql(). Everything is in there, but spampd
> doesn't use it.

This is helpful thanks.

Basically... I've already got postfix calling LDAP for a variety of
filters (see http://www.ehsco.com/reading/20040916ncf1b.gif), and I'd like
to extend those LDAP entries for global spamassassin tests (I don't do any
per-user tests at the global level). Primarily this means moving the
global whitelists to LDAP (eg, rather than track global whitelists in a
local cf file, link them to domain-based entries in the directory).

Is the LDAP stuff in SA usable for global tests, or is it per-user only,
or is there less of a difference than I am imagining here?

There are comments in spampd about unsure future use of per-user scores
and this may be a central part of the discussion. OTOH, spampd does seem
to pick up the LDAP entries in local.cf, so it appears to be activating
that part of the routine [I generally use the spamassassin script for
tests before activating the changes for use with spampd, and that was part
of the whole confusion on my part here].