Matt wrote:
Hi,
Is there any kind of plugin or patch for spamassassin that will allow
me to selectively turn on GREYLISTing for certain user accounts?

When I say greylist I mean:  All e-mail coming into them is bounced
with a temporary error the first time, and then accepted the second
time.   If accepted (ie sent a second time) it is then put in a
database of valid e-mail accounts for the next 60 days (or until
another e-mail is received).

This has the potential to greatly reduce spam since spammers don't
usually try to send mail again, however I don't want to roll this out
on a server wide setup, but rather would like to do it on a per-user
basis.

Greylisting has to kick in earlier than SpamAssassin. Have you looked at milter-greylist? http://hcpnet.free.fr/milter-greylist/ It allows you to choose which users use grey listing.

I think you're suggesting, however, that it should be possible to set something up that lets users choose whether to be using grey-listing. You might be able to extend Maia Mailguard (http://www.maiamailguard.com/) to do that.

FWIW, I'm running milter-greylist on my account on a busy system. I get almost zero spam coming through. The downside is that some servers may take several hours before retrying. Most retry in about 30 minutes. I generally think that's a fair trade off.

--

Steve