On 1 Jan 2018, at 10:33 (-0500), David Jones wrote:

On 01/01/2018 09:29 AM, Bill Cole wrote:
On 1 Jan 2018, at 9:59 (-0500), David Jones wrote:

I think some mail systems will keep the same message-ID per email thread so your system must reject some replies.

I have not seen such behavior in the past 20 years...

Ok. I stand corrected then. What about bounces? Don't they intentionally keep all of the same headers with an empty envelope-from?

Nope. A modern standard 'bounce' message is a MIME entity with a special type, denoted by a header somewhat like this:

It should have a unique MID, a Date header reflecting the time of the bounce, a Subject header like "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender", a To header with the original message's envelope sender, a From header clearly identifying the last MTA to hold the message and it's non-human nature such as 'mailer-dae...@example.com (Mail Delivery System)', and Received headers only reflecting the transit from that MTA to the target of the bounce.

One PART of a bounce is a message/rfc822 entity which has at least the headers of the original message and usually some or all of the body

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole