On 4 Jan 2018, at 11:47, Bill Cole <sausers-0150...@billmail.scconsult.com>
wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2018, at 15:42, @lbutlr wrote:
>> There is no requirement that the right side be globally unique, just that
>> the entire message ID is globally unique.
>
> Right. And any software that can use localhost (or any other unqualified name
> whose meaning is contextually variable) as the right hand side is likely to
> be doing so on multiple machines that don't know about each other and so
> generally cannot know that they are not generating duplicate MIDs.

Sure, but depending on how the MID is generated it can certainly be
statistically unique. As I said earlier, it only takes 256 bits to get an ID
within spitting distance of the number of atoms in the universe. Should be
unique enough.

> The reason for the RHS=FQDN tradition is to establish a namespace for each
> domain whereby global uniqueness can be guaranteed deterministically.

OH, I absolutely agree that using the domain for the RHS is a great idea, and
there's really no reason not to. But there are other ways.

>>> An additional ~1% has a MID header with either no dots or no '@'.
>>
>> Dots are irrelevant, but the way I read the RFC, ‘@‘ is required.
>
> See the message I was responding too, which asked about the feasibility of
> enforcing a "valid domain" rule. For that, dots are absolutely relevant. My
> point, in short, is that doing so may result in 2 orders of magnitude more
> rejection of wanted mail than most sites would deem tolerable.

Yep. Requiring MIDs to conform to out-of-spec requirements is sure to cause
trouble.

--
You and me Sunday driving Not arriving