On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 21:02:46 +0000
Horváth Szabolcs wrote:
One more question: is there a recommended ham to spam ratio? 1:1?

On 14.02.18 15:09, RW wrote:
No, this is a myth.  Bayes computes token probabilities from a token's
frequencies in spam and ham, so it all scales through. If you have
2000 ham and 200 spam the problem is too few spams, not a bad ratio.

my experience says you will need more ham than spam, because you want to get rid of false positives (ham marked as spam) much more than of false negatives.

This is also my experience.

what really matters is how many of FP/FNs you have, you can decrease
probability by training anything too far from BAYES_00 for ham and BAYES_99
for ham

Correct. You want to get ham hitting BAYES_00 and spam hitting BAYES_80, BAYES_95, BAYES_99, or BAYES_999 which mine does very well.

A problem I have found is you shouldn't blindly train all spam as spam. I have some spam hitting BAYES_00 because it truly could be ham based on the body contents but it's spam because it was unsolicited email from someone "cold" emailing for a meeting or something.

In this case, I block the sender and report it to SpamCop and other abuse so the account can be blocked/locked/disabled hopefully.

If I had trained my Bayes with this email as spam, then legit email could hit BAYES_99. That is why my nightly process to train my Bayes DB in redis learns ham first then spam second. This seems to be the best order from my experience.

--
David Jones