On 24.04.18 17:10, L A Walsh wrote:
I'm trying to track down what is scanning my email at an upstream mail host
as they've rejected random emails on initial rcpt of the msg -- without
accepting the message and bouncing it, but just not accepting it
with the message:

  User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
  <email_addr> 64.29.145.41 failed after I sent the message.
  Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 vB73jgO3003858 This message has been
  blocked for containing SPAM-like characteristics.

What email SW censors things by rejecting them before accepting them?

it is not possible to reject mail after accepting it.

After accepting mail, one has options of:
- delivering it (which is usually what we want to avoid)
- dropping it (=losing it, can cause problems)
- bouncing it (can get you blacklisted, bounces are often dropped)

rejecting mail at SMTP level is very common and considered best practice by
many. It also puts handling the spam/virus erorrs on their senders, not
recipients, which is a good thing imho.

Linux IS user friendly, it's just selective who its friends are...