On 17 Jul 2018, at 20:00 (-0400), Chip M. wrote:

There's a new morph of the porn extortion campaign, with some
interesting under-the-hood changes.

The previous ones were always:
- two "quoted-printable" parts (plain text, html)
- "From" Outlook accounts
- sent via Outlook/Hotmail/MS IPs (no other IPs in route)
- passed both DKIM and SPF

The new version has:
- one base64 html part
- pure numeric "From" domain&account (same address in SMTP & header)

Why would anyone accept mail with a SMTP sender domain that is purely numeric? Checking that the sender domain exists is a fundamental necessity in operating an Internet-facing MTA.

- sent via compromised computers (and typically 3 or 4 Received IPs)

Or not. The Received headers in your sample beyond the top one are entirely ridiculous, obviously fake.They are not even internally consistent.

- bogus domains so neither DKIM nor SPF possible

So what? Bogus domains are bogus. If you can't resolve an A or MX for an envelope sender domain, nothing else (including SA) needs be done. It's bogus mail.

[...]
Three other unusual things (all demonstrated in this spample):

1. 9 of the 13 had a two part pure numeric claimed host (see below).
I don't recall seeing that before.
** Is that a botnet fingerprint?

Probably not in a strict sense. Obviously it is a fingerprint of a particular stream of spam, but it is not a behavior that is widespread, such as claiming to be "User" or "ylmf-pc" or the IP of the server being spammed. My guess is that it's one spammer with a severe clue shortage.

2. 9 of the 13 lacked a trailing "=".
I don't recall seeing that before.

That's slightly more common than normal, but not spectacularly more when considering that the input data isn't random. The encoded version of 1/3 of all inputs will not end with '=' and 1/3 will end with '==' while none should ever end with '==='.

It's probably worth a quick test, if easy to implement.

Nope. Absolutely NOT spamsign, unless you consider having an even multiple of 3 bytes in the unencoded data to be spamsign. :)

3. 4 of the 13 failed to hit "MIME_BASE64_TEXT".
I'm curious what the issue is.
The trailing "=" was not a factor.
The main thing that stood out is that the hits all had this CT:

I have not traced the code to be sure, but as I understand it, it shouldn't be possible to hit MIME_BASE64_TEXT unless the character set is US-ASCII. Since iso-8859-1 is an 8-bit character set, it is entirely proper and frequently essential that either Base64 or QP be used to encode it.

[...]
I've just added the above suggested SA metas, and a
low level (non-regex) pure numeric TLD test.

I would not expect the numeric TLD test to hit much in the submitted corpora, since NO_DNS_FOR_FROM is not hitting enough to have a meaningful score and a pure numeric TLD in the envelope sender would always hit NO_DNS_FOR_FROM.

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steadier Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole