On 9 Dec 2018, at 18:23, Chris Pollock wrote:

> On Sun, 2018-12-09 at 13:06 -0500, Bill Cole wrote:
>> On 9 Dec 2018, at 12:04, Chris Pollock wrote:
>>
>>> This is probably very trivial and doesn't affect anything except
>>> maybe
>>> the size of the headers but I have to ask. When looking at the
>>> headers
>>> of some ham I noticed - https://pastebin.com/H7euxqVX the two rules
>>> mention above are in 72_active.cf. Is there a reason for the number
>>> of
>>> times it's listed? Couldn't each subtest be listed just once
>>> instead
>>> of
>>> multiple times?
>>
>> Not with the current documented behavior of the code, given the way
>> those sub-rules are designed to work together. The goal is to
>> identify
>> messages which use Latin-script 'e' characters but also use many
>> non-Latin-script characters which look like 'e' but are not. To make
>> this determination, the rules require the 'multiple' flag without a
>> cap
>> on thne number of matches which a 'maxhits' parameter would set.
>
> Got it, thanks Bill. I've never noticed this before. I also noticed
> that according to my daily sa-update output this subtest is apparently
> new or at least it didn't appear in the output until this past Fri.

Correct. See the thread with the subject "No longer just embedded =9D
characters in blackmail emails" here last week for the background.

>> It is not recommended to routinely add the list of matched sub-rules
>> scanned messages.
>>
> Any specific reason why? This is just on my home system.

It's got the potential to be VERY noisy (as you've discovered) while not really
providing much useful info.  Not a big deal on a small system.

Anyway, as of today I've capped those 2 subrules at levels which leave ample
space to still match the target spam. Should show up in tomorrow's update.