On Mon, 2018-12-10 at 13:09 -0500, Bill Cole wrote:
> On 9 Dec 2018, at 18:23, Chris Pollock wrote:

> > > Not with the current documented behavior of the code, given the
> > > way
> > > those sub-rules are designed to work together. The goal is to
> > > identify
> > > messages which use Latin-script 'e' characters but also use many
> > > non-Latin-script characters which look like 'e' but are not. To
> > > make
> > > this determination, the rules require the 'multiple' flag without
> > > cap
> > > on thne number of matches which a 'maxhits' parameter would set.
> >
> > Got it, thanks Bill. I've never noticed this before. I also noticed
> > that according to my daily sa-update output this subtest is
> > apparently
> > new or at least it didn't appear in the output until this past Fri.
>
> Correct. See the thread with the subject "No longer just embedded =9D
> characters in blackmail emails" here last week for the background.
>

> > > It is not recommended to routinely add the list of matched sub-
> > > rules
> > > scanned messages.
> > >

> > Any specific reason why? This is just on my home system.
>
> It's got the potential to be VERY noisy (as you've discovered) while
> not really providing much useful info.  Not a big deal on a small
> system.
>

> Anyway, as of today I've capped those 2 subrules at levels which
> leave ample space to still match the target spam. Should show up in
> tomorrow's update.

I see in today's update that the subrule was changed from this:

if can(Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf::feature_bug6558_free)
  ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ReplaceTags
    meta            T_MIXED_ES        ( __LOWER_E > 20 ) && (
__E_LIKE_LETTER > ( (__LOWER_E * 14 ) / 10) ) && ( ( __E_LIKE_LETTER /
__LOWER_E ) < 10 )
    describe        T_MIXED_ES        Too many es are not es

To this:

if can(Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf::feature_bug6558_free)
  ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ReplaceTags
    body            __E_LIKE_LETTER /<E>/
    tflags          __E_LIKE_LETTER multiple

SA-update was run at 12:03pm here on my box. A message that came in
well after the update still shows nearly the same output as before

https://pastebin.com/aSXVj5ri

I can't see where the update made any difference Bill. However, maybe I
don't understand the rule and it's doing what it's supposed to.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C