On 20 Dec 2018, at 13:41, Bill Cole wrote:

This should now be fixed for the next rules update.

And, On 20 Dec 2018, at 17:04, (ignoring an explicit Reply-To header in a direct message to me!) Frank Giesecke wrote:

How can I force the rules update?

You cannot. The "rules update" I referred to is the one that runs every night on an Apache infrastructure host, to update the default rules channel. The update completes around 03:30 UTC.

I still get the error on my Debian system.

If you cannot wait 5 more hours and have an updated SVN checkout of the 'trunk' code, you can run:

    make clean ; echo |perl Makefile.PL ; make build_rules

That will leave a proper set of rules files in the rules/ directory. If you copy rules/72_active.cf to your local site-wide rules directory (probably /var/lib/spamassassin/3.004002/updates_spamassassin_org/) you will fix the worst effects of last night's broken update.

We've had a few occurrences of essentially the same problem (a bad rules package due to an ignored lint failure in a nightly update) over the past few years. In addition to correcting the problematic rule I have also fixed the script which intentionally (!) masked the lint failure and allowed the broken rules package to be built and distributed.

--
Bill Cole