On Sep 15, 2019, at 3:03 PM, RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 13:36:13 -0600
> @lbutlr wrote:
>> On Sep 15, 2019, at 6:53 AM, RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> When  child processes are running as root they switch to the unix
>>> user running spamc  (or specified with spamc -u) for processing the
>>> scan. If that would still result in root being used the child
>>> process switches to nobody instead.
>>
>> OK, should I set rc.conf to pass -u spamd then?
>
> Probably, unless you need spamd to use per user files in
> ~/.spamassassin. Running spamc as a single unprivileged user has a
> similar effect, but it's more error prone.

This did not exactly solve the problem, as I still had a stuck process, only it
was not using 100% of a core and it wasn’t owned by nobody. This lead me to
move aside the existing bases DB files.

File type and version of the DB is the same, but toehold ones were causing an
error " cannot open bayes databases /var/spool/spamd/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W:
lock failed: Interrupted system call” which was lost it eh noise of the error
about soma child still running.

👹 # file .spamassassin*/bayes_seen
                 .spamassassin_old/bayes_seen: Berkeley DB 1.85 (Hash, version
2, native byte-order)
.spamassassin/bayes_seen:     Berkeley DB 1.85 (Hash, version 2, native
byte-order)
👹 # ls -ls .spamassassin*/bayes_seen
256 -rw-rw-rw-  1 spamd  spamd    131072 Sep 15 15:46 .spamassassin/bayes_seen
31360 -rw-rw-rw-  1 spamd  spamd  20250624 Aug 20 07:28
.spamassassin_old/bayes_seen

Now I just need to feed some spam and ham to the database.

--
'I don't see why everyone depends on me. I'm not dependable. Even I
don't depend on me, and I'm me.’